We adapted our cake from Laura’s Sweet Spot Blog
- 340 grams butter, room temperature
- 2 cups sugar
- 5 extra-large eggs (or 6 large eggs), room temperature
- 1½ tsp vanilla extract (essence) AND 1½ tsp almond extract (essence)
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder (our cake didn’t need baking powder as we used self-raise flour)
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup Milk
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Grease your cake pan.
- Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, scraping down the bowl after each addition.
- Add the vanilla and almond extracts and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In 3 parts, alternately add the dry ingredients and the milk to the batter, beginning and ending with the dry mix. Mix well.
- Separate mix into various bowls and add your preferred colouring to each.
- Pour mixes in your cake tin in the designs you fancy. Just have fun with it.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, until the top is slightly brown and a fork comes out clean.
- When ready turn your cake out onto a baking rack and allow it to cool.
- We loved it so much we ate it piping hot.
- You can also use this batter for cupcakes. Laura recommends that for large cupcakes you fill each cupcake liner to the top with batter. Bake for 25 to 35 minutes, until the tops are brown and a toothpick comes out clean. For smaller cupcakes- evenly fill 3 dozen cupcake liners ⅔ full and bake 18-20 minutes.
– Happy Loving!